October is S.I.D.S. Awareness Month and HALO Innovations has made it a company goal to provide parents safe sleep products that can help reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. The award-winning HALO SleepSack is a wearable blanket that will allow you to keep your baby warm without needing loose blankets in you baby’s crib. Parents of infants all wish for their baby to get sound sleep, yet our own ability to get much sleep is often hampered by worries of safety. I still clearly remember the first night my boys slept through the night. I woke up in a panic worried that they must not be breathing. Of course, they were okay and were just thankfully having a great nights sleep! Safe sleep is a concern for every parent, so here are a few tips to help your baby sleep safe and sound:
SAFE SLEEP TIPS
- Place baby to sleep on his or her back at nap-time and at night-time.
- Use a crib that meets current safety standards with a firm mattress that fits snuggly and is covered with only a tight-fitting crib sheet.
- Remove all soft bedding and toys from your baby’s sleep area (this includes loose blankets, bumpers, pillows and positioners). The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests using a wearable blanket instead of loose blankets to keep your baby warm.
- Offer a pacifier when putting baby to sleep. If breastfeeding, introduce pacifier after one month or after breastfeeding has been established.
- Breastfeed, if possible, but when finished, put your baby back to sleep in his or her separate safe sleep area alongside your bed.
- Never put your baby to sleep on any soft surface (adult beds, sofas, chairs, water beds, quilts, sheep skins etc.)
- Never dress your baby too warmly for sleep; keep room temperature 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Never allow anyone to smoke around your baby or take your baby into a room or car where someone has recently smoked.
Not only is the HALO SleepSack a great way to help reduce S.I.D.S, but it can also be a great tool to prevent infant hip dysplasia. Incorrect swaddling is said to be related to the increase in infant hip dysplasia. The HALO SleepSack Swaddle is an easy product to use in place of swaddling your baby with a blanket. It has an adjustable swaddle wrap that easily secures with velcro. The bottom of the SleepSack is loose around baby’s legs, so his or her hips can move freely. You can also visit, http://www.hipdysplasia.com, for even more information on hip dysplasia.
Dr. Charles Price, a pediatric orthopedist, offers these hip healthy swaddling tips to help avoid hip dysplasia:
- If using a blanket, wrap firmly around the arms but loosely around the legs so hips can move freely
- When Swaddling baby, avoid stretching the legs out straight or pressing them together
- Encourage baby’s hips to be spread and bent as if riding a horse.
- Consider using a sleepsack product with a roomy bottom such as the HALO SleepSack Swaddle which is a fool-proof way to swaddle baby in a hip healthy manner.
I used HALO SleepSacks with Little D from birth until he could walk. He was a winter baby so the micro-fleece SleepSacks did a wonderful job of keeping him warm on cold nights. I switched to cotton SleepSacks once the weather warmed up. I found HALO SleepSacks to be very durable, warm, and soft. They performed great but he solid colors and limited patterns were not the most fashionable. Therefore, I am extremely excited to inform you that HALO recently introduced a line of 100% Cotton Fashion SleepSacks! These designs are cute and fun, and you still get the great performance of a HALO product.
You can purchase HALO products online at HALOsleep. Get FREE Shipping when you purchase two or more items! No promo code is needed.
One lucky reader at The Children’s Nook is going to win a Halo SleepSack Swaddle. (Winner can specify boy, girl or neutral.) Mandatory Entry: Visit Halo SleepSack and come back here to leave me a comment sharing which Halo product you would love to own.
Extra Entries (Leave a separate comment for each extra entry)
- Subscribe to The Children’s Nook via email (3 entries) The subscription must be confirmed!
- Follow The Children’s Nook on Google+ (2 entries)
- Follow me on Pinterest (2 entries)
- Follow HALO on Pinterest (2 entries)
- Follow The Children’s Nook on Twitter (1 entry)
- Follow Halo on Twitter (1 entry)
- Tweet the following: “October is #SIDS Awareness Month! Enter to #win a Halo SleepSack Swaddle #Giveaway @childrensnook http://wp.me/pX9wg-1Tw” (You may tweet once a day for 1 entry per day)
- “Like” The Children’s Nook on Facebook (2 entries)
- “Like” Halo on Facebook (2 entries)
- Comment on any other non-giveaway post on this blog (1 entry)
- Post a link to this giveaway on your Facebook page or Blog about this giveaway and post a link to your blog post in the comments below (2 entries)
- Enter any of my other current giveaways (1 entry per giveaway)
- Place my button from this website on your blog (2 entries)
Giveaway will end at 11:59 p.m. (central time) on October 30, 2012. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. The winner will be selected by random.org and will have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be chosen.
I was provided product information and a Halo SleepSack Swaddle for review purposes. All opinions are mine alone and based off of my experience with the product I reviewed.